Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Gulliver's Travels, 1726 by Jonathan Swift


It can be a bit daunting at times to be entering into a profession that is loathed by so many people. I can only say that I entered law for, what I believe to be, the right reasons.

I remember my first day of University and our tutor asking about 20 of us why we wanted to be a Solicitor, I was the only one who didn't say "for the money".

I decided to be a Solicitor because I wanted to help people, to stand up for the vulnerable and to speak out for those without a voice. That's why I choose to specialize in subjects like Family and Criminal law rather than the more lucrative property and commercial subjects.

I have always believed that "the law" is the preserve of those with money. You can always buy "justice" when you have the money to do so.

As I am not yet admitted to "the roll" I have to be careful with any advice I give, I can't present myself as a solicitor just yet. As a result any advice which I give, free of charge, will always be accompanied with the proviso that they go and see a Solicitor to back up what I have said.

Just to give an example of this, I recently had a person come to me for advice in relation to a Family problem. I advised them on some of the suitable Section 8 Orders that would help. I should also say that this person has limited financial means and a family to feed and even if I was fully qualified I would never have charged them.

Now, the f*cker of a Solicitor they went to gave them some very suspect advice, advice that would make the situation worse but which would line their pockets. As a result of this advice which lasted a half hour they charged this person £175.

Is it any wonder so many people hate Lawyers!!

No comments: